Monday, January 9, 2012

When Purple Pigs Fly

  My last night in Chicago, I finally made it "The Purple Pig".  I friend of mine had raved about this place and seeing the huge crowds inside every time I walked by it, I knew I had to make it in before leaving.  This place is known for their tremendous wine and cheese selection, and also their delicious small plates.  The atmosphere is bustling but very chill and fun.  It feels like you are at a friends place for a small party, having drinks and enjoying each others company. 
   I went by myself and sat at the bar.  I was soon greeted by the bartender/wine extraordinaire and their extensive wine menu.  I was completely overwhelmed by all the choices so the bartender was listing off his recommendations.  I had almost settled on a Malbec from Argentina when I saw "Marche Wines" with 3 listings underneath.  I studied in Italy two summers ago and lived in a little town in the Marche region (the mountain region of Italy) called Camerino.  In Camerino, if you order "vino rosso", they will bring you a delicious glass of their locally made "Rosso Piceno".  It is a delicious wine that I have missed dearly.  It's a dry and fruity wine with a beautiful, ruby red color to it.  Well sure enough, Rosso Piceno was listed in their menu and my heart jumped.  I immediately ordered myself a glass. 
     My taste bud's walk down memory lane was completed when I saw Chorizo Stuffed Olives on their menu.  This is another delicious snack that I have not enjoyed since leaving Camerino.  I, of course ordered myself some.   I'm not the biggest fans of olives, but these bite sized snacks are absolutely delicious.  The Purple Pig made then wonderfully and, unlike in Camerino, served them with a creamy sauce.  It tasted like some sort of sour cream mixture and added a nice cool texture to the whole thing.  It was like I was sitting in a little pub in Camerino again.  I loved it!


     After reliving my short time in the beautiful Camerino, I thought it was time to come back to the midwest.  For my entree, I ordered the Milk Braised Pork Shoulder with Mashed Potatoes.  I wish there was a way for me to put smells on here.  I can take pictures of things but can never share the smell, which is usually the best part.  If there was ever a time I could add smells to my blog, just once, it would be for this pork shoulder. 

    It smelled divine; better than chocolate cookies in the oven, toast, pie, anything.   The smell was so intoxicating, the people sitting next to me turned and asked me what I had ordered.  And then proceeded to order one for themselves before I had even tried it!  But I promise you, the taste was just as good as the smell.  It was amazing.  They served it to me with a spoon, which I thought was for the mashed potatoes.  But when I asked the waiter for a fork, he smiled and said, "You won't need one."  It was the most tender, juicy, and flavorful piece of pork I have ever had.  It literally melted in your mouth.  And then with the sauce on top and the mashed potatoes, it was perfect.  I think this may have to be my "last meal" meal.  Even now, just writing about it, my mouth is watering. 
    I became quick friends with the people sitting next to me at the bar.  I think it is impossible in the atmosphere of this restaurant to not meet a new friend.  We sat and talked for a while and when asked if we wanted dessert, it seemed like a great excuse to stay and talk longer.  (And if the rest of the meal was so amazing, their dessert couldn't be bad, right?)  I chose the Bread Pudding with Marsala and Citrus.  I must say, I chose very well.


     I love when bread pudding is more bread-like than pudding.  As you can see from the picture, this one fit the bill.  The bread had a terrific, creamy and thick texture, with actual bits of orange peel in it, which I loved!  The orange peel added an amazing taste and texture to the creamy bread.  They spread caramel sauce and whipped cream over it, which was the perfect cherry on top.  I would have licked my plate if I had not been engaged in conversation with my neighbors.  It was heavy, but in the best way possible, and not overly sweet.  This one gives the bread pudding I've had in Kentucky a run for it's money...

   Overall, this was one of the best dining experiences I have ever had.  It is certainly one of my favorite blog posts and a meal I will forever remember.  Next time, I'll have to make sure to bring many good friends to share it with.  If you ever find yourself in The Purple Pig, order a glass Rosso Piceno for me!  Cheers, my friends.
  


No comments:

Post a Comment