Thursday, January 26, 2012

Memphis Meets the Gateway to the West

    I love BBQ, in case you haven't figured that out yet.  I had heard amazing things about a BBQ joint in St. Louis named "Pappy's" and knew I had to check it out.  It's won all kinds of awards and titles from numerous magazines and was even named one of the 101 Best Places to Chow Down in America by The Travel Channel.  So I headed to Pappy's Smokehouse with high hopes, an empty stomach and a bunch of hungry friends. 
    Pappy's is a order at the counter then grab a seat kind of place.  We had perfect timing because we only waited in line for a minute or two, but by the time we sat down the line was suddenly through the restaurant and starting to go out the door!  This place is obviously a local favorite.  And I was soon to find out why...
     I ordered a half slab of their ribs with a side of baked beans and FRIED corn on the cob.  (I had never heard of fried corn on the cob so I thought it was necessary for me to try it.)

      
    After just one bite of my ribs, I knew what all the fuss was about.  Their ribs are their house specialty, dry-rubbed and slow smoked over apple and cherry wood.  They are served without sauce, which I loved, and you can choose from their three house-made options on every table.  I tried my first bite without any sauce as a test, and even naked these ribs were amazing.  The meat just fell off the bone, was juicy and tender and seasoned perfectly.  They had the perfect amount of crispy glaze on top and just melted in your mouth. 
    Their three sauces are Pappy's Original, Sweet Baby Jane, and Holly's Hot Sauce.  I think their names pretty much sum up their individual flavors.  My personal favorite was the original.  Nice and tangy, and just a little sweet.  Holly's Hot Sauce wasn't spicy enough for my own taste, but then again I love spicy food that carries a strong punch.  Sweet Baby Jane was good too, just too sweet for me.  But Pappy's Original was wonderful and tasted great on my amazing ribs.
   The beans were also great.  Again, I don't like when you can taste the brown sugar in baked beans and these were the perfect amount of sweet for me.  Don't get me wrong, I love sugar and sweets.  But I generally like to keep them reserved for dessert...  I am sad to say that I was not crazy about the fried corn on the cobb.  It made the corn taste a little soggy.  It reminded me of the corn they serve you in the cafeteria at elementary school, if that brings back any sense memories for you.  It was fine, but I would never order it again.  I did, however, try their green beans and loved them!  They are made from fresh green beans, with a little crunch still intact, and have a kick to them.  I'm not sure what they cook them in, but they were delicious.
   Overall, we had a great experience at Pappy's.  The food was killer, the staff was all very nice and the atmosphere is laid back and fun.  Being in Pappy's is like sitting at a big family BBQ in your Grandma's back yard.  Everyone is sitting at picnic tables, laughing and having a good time, and all covered in BBQ sauce.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment