Thursday, January 5, 2012

Delicious, Deep Dish Divinity

   I was in Chicago.  For foodies, that means one thing: Deep Dish Pizza!!  I knew I had to get it somewhere, but the question was where...  Many will argue who has the best.  Just like in NYC, every pizza joint has a sign out front saying either "Home of the Original Deep Dish" or "Chicago's Best Deep Dish" so I decided to simply go off of recommendations.  Many names were thrown my way, but the majority went with "Lou Malnati's Pizzeria". 
   So, before my family left town, we took a field trip to one of the now many Lou Malnati's around Chicago.  We began to look through the menu and everything looked amazing.  I will admit that my family, like most, does not agree on most things when it comes to making decisions.  But life changing pizza must have been written in the stars for us that day because we unanimously voted on the "Malnati Chicago Classic".  It is made with Lou Malnati's exclusive blend of lean sausage, mozzarella cheese, and in-house made tomato sauce all on their famous Buttercrust. 


   This pizza was out of this world good!  The sauce was tangy and sweet and slightly chunky with tomatoes.  The mozzarella cheese oozed into every crevice of the sausage and crust, making each bite perfectly cheese filled.  (A must have on pizza.)  And that sausage... I will admit, I have a thing for sausage.  I love it!  Maybe it's my German heritage, or maybe it's just because sausage is amazing and everyone should love it, but it reaches perfection on pizza.  Obviously Lou agrees with me because they have created the perfect sausage on their pizza.  It's cut into thin, long pieces that create an entire layer on the pizza.  It's sweet but also has a bit of a kick to it.  It is awesome, to put it lightly.  And last but not least, that butter crust.  I think everything I could say about it is in the title.  It's buttery dough that is soft except around the slightly crunchy, burnt ends.  I hate to use the word again, but it's perfect.   
    I'm usually a three slice girl when I'm in New York.  But the slices at Lou's are like small houses on your plate.  After a mere one slice I was doing the lean back in the booth with the hand on the stomach move.  This pizza is incredible, but not for the faint of heart.  I loved it, but couldn't eat it all the time like the thin crust style in NYC.  But this was a pizza experience for the books (or blog...).  If you are ever in Chicago, get to a Lou Malnati's. 
My family, pre pizza coma :)


No comments:

Post a Comment