Saturday, July 9, 2011

First post!

Hello everyone and welcome to my blog!  I could not be more excited about this blog.  I have been a lover of food for a long time and my friends have inspired me to put that love to more use than just pleasing my taste buds.  Right now my current location is New York City so for a little while my posts will be about my food adventures here.  Today I went with my fellow foodies and good friends Eric, Laura, Holly and Nora to SMORGASBURG in Brooklyn.  It is essentially an empty lot in Williamsburg, right on the water, where tons of food vendors gather to sell their delicious handmade food. (For very reasonable prices I may add.)  You can find everything from biscuits and fried chicken to Vietnamese street food to hot dogs to oysters!  Each stand offers a whole new world of flavor and food heaven.
   I started my Smorgasburg experience off with a refreshing watermelon, lemon and aloe juice.  It was subtly sweet from the watermelon, crisp and refreshing from lemon, while cooling and "thirst quenching" from the aloe.  The flavors together formed one of the best drinks I have ever had.  While I was busy being taken away to a watermelon and aloe oasis, Eric and Laura were trying fried anchovies at the next stand over, Bon Chovie.  (I told you each stand was a whole new world.)  I took one look at the little guys, with their heads and tails still on, and thought there was no way that could be enjoyable.  How wrong I was!  Once I built up the courage to try a bite I was surprised with a crunchy, salty and flavorful piece of fish!  Not overly fishy like I was expecting.  If you enjoy seafood (and I'll just assume we all love fried foods) I urge you to try fried anchovies at least once.  I was pleasantly surprised and I think you will be too.
   I moved on to Queen's Danh Tu for some Vietnamese food.  I ordered the banh xeo which is a rice flour and coconut milk crepe filled with braised pork, shrimp and bean sprouts and served on a bed of greens.  It was outstanding.  The crepe was soft and sweet from the coconut milk.  The meat inside was flavorful and tender and the greens tasted like they came straight from the farm.  They also give you a full branch of fresh basil and mint and lime juice to use at your discretion.  The flavors complimented each other perfectly.  It tasted fresh, light, sweet, savory, and filling all at the same time.  I have found my Vietnamese comfort food.
   We moved on to Brooklyn Oyster Party and tried raw oysters for the first time which were very good.  The texture got to me a little, but the taste was unlike anything I have ever had.  We enjoyed blueberry-chai popsicles at People's Pops with actual bits of blueberry and a wonderful subtle chai tea taste.  They were perfect.  The macaroons from Danny's Macaroons were out of this world.  They were cooked to a perfect light brown on the outside but gooey and still slightly crunchy in the inside from the fresh coconut.  I recommend the salted caramel one but I don't think you can go wrong here.  My favorite part of Danny's Macaroons was that Danny not only cooks all of the macaroons but was also the one working behind the table and serving all of them.  He is a macaroon god AND a very friendly guy.
   Today's blog would not be complete without mention of the fried chicken biscuits from King's Crumbs.  Wow.  Now listen, I'm from Georgia and have had my fair share of fried chicken.  I know the real stuff from the wimpy yankee imitations.  I never thought I would say this but I had some of the best fried chicken I have ever had in Brooklyn today.  The chicken was juicy and tender on the inside while the outside had a great crunch and was seasoned perfectly.  It was bursting with flavor!  I was in amazement and felt pure joy.  However, it wasn't enough for the guys at King's Crumbs to just serve mind blowing fried chicken.  They put it on a homemade biscuit, added bacon and completed this golden meal with homemade ranch dressing!  Could it be more perfect!?
  
banh xeo

Danny's Macaroons

Fried chicken and biscuits

Williamsburg Smorgasburg

Our view from Smorgasburg

   My Williamsburg Smorgasburg experience was epic and better than I could have ever expected.  Find some hungry friends and head down next Saturday!  Great food, sunshine, and a beautiful view of Manhattan skyline.  What more could you ask for?  Happy eating!

  "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
   -J.R.R. Tolkien
    

      

1 comment:

  1. allison! thanks for the super kind words! so glad you loved the macaroons. best of luck in la cage aux folles...!

    ReplyDelete