Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Quick Italian Getaway

    Last summer I was fortunate enough to spend a month in Italy.  I lived in a beautiful little town, up in the mountains of the Marche Region, called Camerino.  I fell in love with everything about Italy and the Italian lifestyle.  I especially loved how Italians began every morning with a cappuccino and pastry from their local cafe.  I quickly became obsessed with this tradition and enjoyed some of the best espresso and steamed milk I had ever tasted.  (Not to mention the amazing brioches and chocolate or jelly filled croissants...)  Since returning to America I have been on a quest to find a cappuccino that can compare to the amazing flavors in Italy.  Unfortunately, my attempts here in the US usually leave me a little disappointed and longing for my amazing Italian cappuccino that costs one mere euro.  However, I have found a few coffee shops that manage to bring me right back to that little cafe (K2 if you've ever been to Camerino) in Italy.  One of them is right here in Ann Arbor, MI.  It's name is Comet Coffee.


   Comet Coffee is a great little coffee shop nestled right into the historic Nickels Arcade, right off State Street.  Whether you like cappuccino, lattes, or just plain coffee, Comet Coffee is hands down the best coffee in the city.  Each cup of coffee is brewed individually once it is ordered.  You wont find any giant carafes or heating devices in this place; only mugs filled with paper filters and coffee beans, slowly dripping amazing coffee into each one.  Because of this, each cup of coffee is fresh, unique and bursting with notes of flavor.  
  
  Now onto the cappuccino... :)


   This custom made beauty is absolutely delicious.  The espresso is flavorful and rich.  The steamed milk is foamy on top while heavy enough to combat the strong espresso flavors.  It is probably the closest I have found to what they taste like in Italy.  I take one sip of this cappuccino and I am suddenly sitting at a table right in the piazza with cobblestone roads feeling the sun on my face.  Perfetto!  They also make lovely designs on each one which makes each cup even more special.   
    


   So head into Comet Coffee to fare prima colazione.  Order yourself a pastry from their options of locally made sweets and order a delicious cappuccino.  Don't you dare add sugar either!  I promise it is perfect the way it is.  Bon appetit!


"Coffee is the best thing to douse the sunrise with."  ~Terri Guillemets

No comments:

Post a Comment