Friday, July 15, 2011

Any Friend of a Farmer is a Friend Of Mine

    This past week, during one of my weekly visits to the Union Square Farmer's Market, which I adore and could not recommend more to anyone in NYC, I decided to treat myself to brunch.  I usually cook breakfast at home but love the occasional brunch outing.  A friend of mine had just raved about a place close to Union Square named "Friend of a Farmer" so I thought I would check it out. 
    If you have ever been to a Cracker Barrel, imagine that but without the cheesy store in front and a bit more sophisticated (that was my nice way of saying less red-neck) and you have Friend of a Farmer.  It has a very cozy, "down home" look and feel to it, complete with roosters on the wallpaper, antique cooking supplies on the wall and baskets of fresh veggies throughout the restaurant.  It was love at first sight for this Georgia girl.  I looked over the menu and decided everything looked too good to choose.  They had everything from homemade granola, eggs benedict with crab meat to pumpkin pancakes.  When it came time to order I asked my waiter to bring me whatever his favorite dish was and french press coffee.  A little later he emerged with a big smile and this:

 
  His favorite was the buttermilk pancakes filled with minced apples, cinnamon and their homemade apple butter.  That's right, filled with APPLE BUTTER!  Wow.  Furthermore, these pancakes were the thickest pancakes I have ever encountered.  They must have been about half an inch thick!  As you cut into these fluffy bad boys, the aroma of cinnamon and apple fill the air.  Chunks of apples that have been softened to a perfect consistency are throughout the pancakes.  The apple butter oozes out of the pancakes and you have officially entered pancake paradise.  My step father's mother used to make her own apple butter.  I have wonderful memories of being a little girl and sitting in the kitchen with Kenneth, my Step Dad, and eating his mothers delicious apple butter on toast.  These pancakes took me straight back to our kitchen and the care free days of childhood.   
   Another thing I loved about Friend of a Farmer is that they are actually a friend to farmers!  They use a lot of locally grown produce in their recipes.  Many things on their menu are seasonal and they even sell fresh, raw vegetables in the restaurant.  I am always a fan of restaurants that try to support their local farmers.  Not only is it better for our economy and our environment, but the food tastes so much better!  If you don't believe me, head down to Friend of a Farmer and see for yourself!  Better yet, head to your local farmer's market and become a friend to YOUR farmer.  :) 


All happiness depends on a leisurely breakfast.  ~John Gunther

No comments:

Post a Comment