Sunday, December 18, 2011

So good I had to go twice...

   There is a little joint in the North End (Boston's Little Italy) called "The Daily Catch".  It's small and has that "hole in the wall" feel to it, with the menu written up on a chalk board and the kitchen right in the middle of the dining room.  If you walk by too quickly, you may not even notice it, it's that small.  My friend Rylyn and I found it, however, and were soon being served some of the best seafood I've ever had.  We both ordered the exact same thing, the broiled Haddock with squid ink pasta.
    The haddock was, first of all, HUGE.  It was cooked in fresh garlic and butter, which had slightly caramelized on the outsides of the haddock and around the plate to a thick and sweet sauce.   The fish tasted so fresh and was flaky and super juicy and flavorful.  Each bite just melted in your mouth.   Our server (the only server in the place since there were only about 5 tables) was so passionate about the food he was serving us.  He described the Sicilian style in which they cooked their food and their commitment to using only the best and freshest ingredients.  The quality of their ingredients was completely evident in their food.  Simple and absolutely delicious.    


   I won't lie, I was a little nervous about the pasta.  It comes out black and I had no idea if I liked squid ink at all.  But as soon as I took one bite, all fears were cast aside.  The pasta really tastes a lot like regular pasta, except it has a distinct but not overpowering fish taste.  I ordered mine with the Aglio Olio sauce which is ground calamari, olive oil, garlic, and anchovies.  It was amazing!  The calamari on top was delicious and the anchovies provided a perfect salty taste to accompany the noodles and garlic.  



     As the title of this post says, I loved my meal so much that I had to go back again.  Except this time I took my boyfriend.  He ordered the exact meal I had last time (and loved it) and I ordered the grilled shrimp and scallops with vegetables.  Again, it was incredible.  The scallops were tender, the shrimp tasted nice and fresh and the vegetables still had a nice crunch to them.  I'm not sure what exactly the green sauce was, but it tasted delicious.  If I had to guess, I would say it was some sort of pureed parsley and olive oil mixture.  I love when anything is grilled and has that slight charcoal, smokey taste.       


No comments:

Post a Comment