Sunday, August 21, 2011

Georgia On My Mind

My next destination was Marietta, GA.  I grew up in this beautiful town just north of Atlanta and it was wonderful to be back.  I love the south for many reasons, but the food is one of the main ones.  The south just gets it.  From collard greens to BBQ to cornbread, it really doesn't get much better.  Southern food is the ultimate comfort food and will always fill you with happiness and that "being home" feeling.  One of mine and my Dad's favorite places to go get home cooking is a little place called Johnboy's.
 

  For my Georgians, it's right on Canton Hwy. and, as you can see, it's an all you can eat buffet.  :)  From the outside it looks like a shack of a house or old trailer home that they have converted into a restaurant.  The inside pretty much matches the look of the outside.  There is nothing fancy about Johnboy's.  But you better believe if you walk into this place at 12:00, every table will be filled with good ol southerner's eating delicious fried chicken to their hearts desire. 
   You know it's the real deal when you sit down and instead of being asked, "What would you like to drink?" they just say, "Sweet tea?"  Welcome to Johnboy's.  Once you place your sweet tea order, because you really can't get anything else, you head up to the buffet.  The buffet line changes daily with a few staple items that have been there every time I've gone.  There is always fried chicken, cornbread, macaroni and cheese, green beans, and some sort of cobbler.  (You know, the basics of a southern meal.)  But then on certain days you can find fried okra, fried green tomatoes, collard greens, and some sort of delicious casserole.  But no matter what you get, I promise it will taste like something you grandma whipped up for ya on a Sunday afternoon.  This is a view of my (1st) plate from my last visit to Johnboy's:

  It was delicious.  I won't lie, I was a little disappointed that I didn't go on a fried green tomato day.  They really cook em up well there.  I stole this picture from my good friend, and fellow fried green tomato lover, Holly:

     So if you happen to find yourself in Marietta, GA and are looking for a filling and delicious meal for about $7, head on over to Johnboy's.  The people are friendly, the food is simple and good, and the environment is about as down home as you're going to find north of Atlanta.  Enjoy, ya'll!

  
"Well, butter my behind and call me a biscuit.” – Southern saying

1 comment:

  1. carolyn_mcdowell@att.netAugust 21, 2011 at 6:23 PM

    Loved this and you are 100% correct! Good Southern Cooking!

    ReplyDelete